I really could not think of a clever title for this post, but it’s late and I’m out of excuses anyway. I just wanted to give a quick update on something that I’ve started doing over the last few days that I wanna fill you guys and gals in on.
I’ve started a culinary bucket list. Yes, I’m aware that a bucket list is typically a list of things you want to do before you die, but sometimes I get overwhelmed with ideas or recipes that I forget them. Some of the things on the list involve a cooking or preparation technique that uses a tool or gadget that I do not have yet. Some are purely experimental. Others are fairly tame, just stuff I haven’t gotten around to cooking. I will go ahead and say that as I check these off of the list, I will make posts about them, since I am, in a way, involving you all into it. If there’s anything you think I should add to my list, tell me! My one-year anniversary of this blog is coming up and I think I’ve gotten a total of 4 or 5 ideas of things to write about or cook. Quite frankly, I thought I would get a lot more than that… but I also thought I’d have a lot more unique readers and hits to the site. I guess I can’t get my way ALL the time, right? And before I get to my list, I just want to add that I am going out to lunch tomorrow with my lovely wife to what is probably my favorite restaurant in Orlando right now: the Ravenous Pig. Expect a post.
And one last caveat, just because I can…I have one or two ideas on my list that I have never seen anywhere before, and I will not be posting them on here. Can’t risk my proprietary ideas getting stolen, right? So without further ado, my list.. in no particular order…
- Make another batch of bacon ice cream. This one is going to come to fruition before any of the others, simply because I have been commissioned by several of my friends to make them batches of it. Needless to say, I’m stoked.
- Make candied bacon. This is something that I will be doing whilst making the bacon ice cream. It shall be delicious!
- Make a balsamic glaze. This is literally as simple as adding balsamic vinegar to a pot and reducing it. I just have never gotten around to doing it.
- Lamb burgers. I think you all know how I feel about burgers. And I happen to like lamb, too. I just never have put the two together in my kitchen.
- Infuse vodka. Being a neutral spirit, vodka can be easily infused by the home cook, and I plan on taking advantage of this one. The post regarding this part of the list might have a lot of misspellings.
- Duck. I have a whole frozen duck sitting in my freezer that needs to get cooked. Just another of those things I just haven’t had a lot of time for… especially since I need to butcher it up and stuff. And yes, I will be rendering out the fat from the
carcassleftover bones to be used in any and everything.
- Stock. I’ve made it countless times at school and now I wanna make it at home. I’ve got some chicken parts in my freezer along with another whole chicken and the aforementioned duck that will make a luscious stock. Another time issue…and freezer space.
- Beef short ribs. I don’t do a lot of braising at home, but this is one meat that I wanna try because I know the flavor potential is through the roof.
- Fried chicken. Most people that know me personally know that I have been on a crazy fried chicken craving right now. I would like to find the perfect fried chicken technique, and then go crazy.
So that’s it for now. Not really an entirely rivetting post, I know. But one I needed to put out there so my ideas are out in the open. It also gives me a level of accountability since now I’m not the only person who knows about this stuff.
Maybe you found this at least a little entertaining. I guess that’s all I can really ask for right now, eh?Stay positive, love your life, and play with your food 🙂